It’s well and truly winter here in Australia. I live in the cold capital of Canberra so I know a thing or two about cold winter days! There’s also an icy wind on top of having most nights sub zero… just thinking about it makes me shiver!
Winter always calls for comfort foods that warm your body and help the soul deal with the shorter and colder days. When the temperatures dip like this, it’s always a great idea to sip on soup in winter.
My workplace does a soup day once or twice a year and I usually volunteer to make a soup.I recently made this recipe for our soup day and I got lots of positive feedback. A few people said it was their favourite!
It’s rich and creamy but not too much. You will feel full with the protein from the chicken and cream but you also have the nice texture with corn.
It also works well if you make up a batch and freeze some for lunches or dinners.
The standard recipe below should feed 4-6 servings.
1 chicken breast
3 cups water
60g unsalted butter
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tbsp chopped shallots
4 stalks of spring onion
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 L chicken stock
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup cream
1 can creamed corn
1 can corn kernels
Salt & pepper
1. Boil 3 cups water in small saucepan. Sprinkle salt & pepper over chicken breast. Place into boiling water and reduce to medium heat. Poach chicken until it is cooked through. Set chicken aside on plate to cool. Set water in pot aside.
2. Melt butter over medium heat in large pot with garlic. Add shallots, thyme, spring onions and parsley and sauté for 2 minutes. Slowly sift in and stir flour. Reduce to low heat.
3. Slowly poor in cream. Slowly add water from poached chicken and chicken stock. Add both cans of corn. Bring soup to medium heat.
4. Use two forks to shred chicken into small pieces. Once fully shredded, add chicken to soup mixture. Keep on medium temperature for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve in bowls and garnish with extra shallots and parsley. Eat with a side of warm bread with butter.
Have you tried my chicken and corn soup recipe? Do you have your own recipe? Let me know in the comments section!
What do you think of this recipe? Do you have your own chicken and corn soup recipe? Let me know in the comments section!
Bye for now,
All opinions in this post are my own. Unless otherwise stated, this post has not been sponsored and I have not been paid for this post
See you in the Social Media Atmosphere:
Instagram: @vintagebarbie17 | Facebook: Adventures of Vintage Barbie – Blog | Twitter: @vintage_barbie1 | Polyvore: vintagebarbie17 | Pinterest: @vintagebarbieblog | Snapchat: vintagebarbie17