Cauliflower Cheese is one of my mans favourite dinner foods. He specifically requests it for his birthday dinner. It’s is a classic side dish that works great with chicken schnitzel, steak or a gold old fashioned roast. Or if you are like my partner, you could just eat the dish whole!
This can easily be made gluten free by changing the bread crumbs and flour to the gluten free version. You don’t even have to use breadcrumbs. I actually love that extra crunchy crust-like texture to the top of the dish – I think this is what makes the dish such a winner so I would recommend keeping the breadcrumbs!
- 1 whole large cauliflower or 2 small cauliflowers
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 30g butter
- Salt and pepper (to season)
- 1/4 cup plain flour (you may need more depending on desired consistency)
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1. Cut cauliflower into small pieces and add to boiling water.
2. White cauliflower is cooking, add milk and butter in small saucepan on low heat and allow butter to melt. Once melted add the garlic, salt and pepper and combine ingredients with a whisk.
3. Shift in a tablespoon of flour at a time and whisk in each tablespoon separately. Mixture should begin to form into a thick mixture.
4. Slowly add 1/2 cup grated cheese in small sprinkles. Whisk cheese in and allow to melt. Once all combined, take off heat and set aside.
5. Once cauliflower is cooked, drain water and place cooked cauliflower in ovenproof dish. Poor cheese sauce mixture evenly over cauliflower. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over cauliflower and sauce. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over cheese, and then remaining cheese over breadcrumbs.
6. Cook under a grill for 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and begins to brown. Keep a close eye on dish to ensure it does not burn.
7. Use a large ladle type spoon to serve. Works well with roast dinner or chicken schnitzels.
Did you try my cauliflower cheese recipe? Do you have your own recipe?
Bye for now,
All opinions in this post are my own. Unless otherwise stated, this post has not been sponsored and I have not been paid for this post
See you in the Social Media Atmosphere: