I love baking cakes for people’s birthdays. It’s a fabulous present to give someone and you can easily make is personable. This was my thinking for my friends 30th recently – I could make a personalised cake and it would be a great birthday present for him!
I went onto Pinterest to gather some ideas. After some browsing I couldn’t find exactly what I was after – I wanted something funky for this milestone birthday. Then it hit me – I could make a red moustache cake, just like my friends own big red mo!
This cake looks like it is hard to create but it is surprisingly easy! I’m considering making one for Movember next year 🙂
Steps for Creating Your Own Mo Cake
1. Bake a round sponge cake (or other basic cake) as per normal instructions. Allow cake to cool completely before progressing further.
2. Level out cake with a sharp knife so it is completely flat. Draw two faint lines through the centre of the cake, as if you were going to cut the cake into quarter. This will help you in the next step.
3. Draw a “swirl” from one side of the cake to the other (similar to a yin-yang swirl). Use the swirl as a guide and, with a sharp knife, slowly cut along this swirl line. The cake will then be in two “swirl” parts.
4. Take one swirl and flip it upside down. Place the thick round ends of the swirls up against one another with the points facing outwards. This should now resemble a moustache!
5. You can ice this cake how you want, such a a chocolate ganache for a brown moustache. However I chose to do a vanilla buttercream icing with coloured soft rolled icing over the top.
What do you think about my Mo Cake? Have you made a moustache cake before? Let me know in the comments section!
Bye for now,
See you in the Social Media Atmosphere: