Is it just me or is “kale” the new buzzword? Actually, it’s more like “superfood” is the buzzword but kale is definitely the flavour of the month…
We hear it everywhere: add it to smoothies, it’s on the menu at the hip new restaurant, blah blah blah.
Well I decided that I should just see what all the fuss is about. I picked up a pre-made salad at the grocery store with kale, capsicum and quinoa. I figured this was a good option because if I didn’t like it I could easily buy something else and I haven’t wasted too much money nor have I wasted time on preparing something I didn’t like.
Then my taste buds discovered something… Something amazing… It was one of the most delicious salads I’ve ever had! I think even those who don’t like salads would enjoy this one. It was tasty, filling and of course good for me.
So after this delightful experience, I decided to buy kale and make my own meals with it. But I was kinda stuck with what to do with it. Sure, there’s an abundance of recipes online, but maybe there’s too many. And some of them just seemed too complicated. There were a lot of ingredients I didn’t have in my pantry. Unfortunately I’m not 100% clean eating or paleo or whatever the current trend is (although I am on a gluten free diet…) so I often don’t have the expensive, hard to find items in my pantry. Finding kale in the grocery store was hard enough, let alone using other ingredients in som of these recipes.
This lead me to create my own recipe. I decided I should go with what I know and hope for the best.
Well, it appeared to turn out quite well. I used to always have a spinach salad with items like feta and baby beetroot. I could sit there and eat that salad for days. Especially Danish feta – I love it’s soft texture and smooth taste. It’s also the right amount of saltiness without going overboard.
Then, I remembered one of my healthy salad dressings. Tahini (ok it’s a somewhat obscure ingredient in my pantry) is a sesame paste that works great for dressings. It can easily be mixed with vinegar, oil, herbs or lemon juice to create a tasty dressing.
With all that previous food knowledge, I thought I should be able to combine everything together to create a delicious and healthy salad. Follow my recipe below to create your own healthy kale salad.
To serve one main meal or two side salads
- 1.5 cups of kale leaves
- 1/2 cup of grated carrot
- 4 baby beetroots
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp tahini
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes – optional
1. Remove the stems from the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Grate carrot and roughly chop almonds. Quarter the baby beets. Place ingredients into large bowl.
2. Add all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
3. Pour dressing over ingredients in larger bowl. Mix until dressing fully covers all ingredients.
4. Transfer salad to bowl or plate. Crumble feta over the top. Sprinkle sesame seeds over salad.
5. Can be served as a main or a side dish – have it served however you like! I served mine with a kangaroo steak for a super healthy dish. It was delicious!
Have you tried kale? What’s your favourite dish including kale? If you have any kale recipes, be sure to comment below with the link to the recipe so I can check it out 🙂