Nachos are easily my favourite food! I particularly love that you can easily whip up nachos and share them with friends and family – it’s a great entertaining kind of food!
The best thing is that they can be gluten free and you can make them just the way you like! I make the sauces and spice mix from scratch so I know exactly what’s going in to my dish, and avoid consuming all those nasty additives and preservatives.
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried corriander
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli (add more if you like a bit of spice)
- Salt and pepper
- 400g canned kidney beans
- 200g crushed tomatoes (usually half a tin of canned tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 large packet of corn chips
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
- Heat oil in pan. Sauté onion and garlic in pan until a medium brown. Add mince until thoroughly cooked through.
- Whilst mince is cooking, blend half of the kidney beans in a food processor until it is a smooth paste.
- Add herbs and spices to mince once it is cooked. Add crushed tomatoes and remaining beans. Stir in in bean paste and tomato paste. Simmer for 5-10 mins.
- Scatter corn chips across baking tray. Spoon mince mixture over chips. Top with cheese. Cook in oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chips appear crisy.
- Take out from oven and leave in baking tray when serving. Allow people to take out what they want from the baking tray. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream
For a healthier version of sides, use Greek yoghurt instead of sour cream, and make avocado smash instead of using store bought guacamole
Avocado smash: mash one medium sized avocado with tsp lime juice, 1/2 tsp dried chilli and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
Capsicum Salsa: use a food processor to roughly mix one red capsicum, one medium tomato, one tsp tomato paste, 1/2 brown onion and 1 clove garlic.
Corn Salsa: mix 200g corn with one diced tomato, 1/2 diced red onion and tbsp roughly chopped corriander.