Sometimes when people hear about me being gluten intolerant, they ask – what do you eat? Well, plenty! I love being able to come up with creative new ideas and trying out gluten free recipes.
When I found out that I was gluten intolerant, the door may have closed on some old favourites, but another door opened to discover new healthy and exciting foods. One of these new foods has been polenta. I don’t often cook with it, but when I do, I am happy I chose to! It’s delicious and light and I’m enjoying having polenta as an alternative to rice or pasta.
A recent recipe I tried was polenta battered fish fillets. They were delicious! They were fussy-food-eater approved as well 😉
4 fish fillets
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup polenta
Rind from 1 lemon
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp sea salt
1. You will need 3 shallow bowls in order to crumb the fish. Place the flour in one shallow bowl. Whisk the egg slightly and mix it in with the milk in a second bowl. Mix the polenta, lemon rind and herbs in a third bowl.
2. Dip the fish into the flour, ensuring it has a light covering all over the fish fillet. Then dip into the egg & milk and make sure the entire fish is covered with the mixture. Finally, dip the fillet into the polenta mix, and ensure that it is entirely covered in the mixture. Place fillet on a plate. Continue with all fish fillets and place into the fridge for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 150 degrees.
4. Place fillets onto baking tray and place into the oven. Cook for 15 minutes each side. Alternatively, you can cook in the pan on the stove top using a small amount of olive oil. Remove from oven or pan when polenta has a light brown colour to it.
5. Can be served with salad or veggies. I served mine with steamed green beans and Baked Spiced Pumpkin.
To make the side dish of Baked Spiced Pumpkin you will need
1/2 Butternut pumpkin
1 tbsp flaxseed oil (or olive oil)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
sprinkling of sea salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Remove skin and seeds from pumpkin. Cut into bite sized cubes.
3. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and toss ingredients until pumpkin is covered with oil and herbs.
4. Place pumpkin on baking tray and bake for 15 – 20 mins. Can be eaten warm or cold.