This year I turned 25. I’m starting to feel my age and worry about my future. I guess that’s a sign of
ageing maturing. But it got me thinking – what are some things I want to accomplish over the next few years? I thought I might like to put it into a ‘bucket list’. And the best way to make sure I complete the list, is to set a time frame. So I’ve decided on 30 things I would like to do before I turn 30. In no particular order, here are the things I aim to achieve within the next 5 years.
- Get my drivers licence: Yeah I know I should have had my licence for many years already… but it’s never been on the priority list. I moved out of home at 17, before I got the chance to get my licence. Then trying to pay for lessons and everything is quite expensive… 8 years later I still don’t have my licence. I know I’ll get it sooner or later, it’s just that it’s getting a bit ridiculous now.
- Get married: Pretty much every girl wants their princess day…
- Learn French: Unlike many people, I did not learn French in high school. But I’ve always wanted to learn and be able to speak French confidently.
- Become admitted as a solicitor in the ACT: I may as well, considering I graduated from my law degree last year. So this is the natural progression…
- Go sky diving: I have always wanted to do this. I’m hella scared of heights but for some reason I want to jump out of a plane…
- See the Great Barrier Reef: I hope I get to see it before it gets destroyed by litter and garbage.
- Climb the Eiffel Tower: Last time I went to Paris I didn’t get to do this, so I’ve got 2 more chances this year to complete this task 🙂
- Run a half marathon: I used to do lots of fun runs and be quite fit. I really want to get back to that level of fitness again and start running in fun runs on a regular basis. I want to build myself up to a half marathon, and then maybe a full marathon if I am fit enough.
- Purchase an investment property: I don’t care if it’s a small unit or a big house, but I want to purchase something as an investment and start my property portfolio. I definitely want to own property before I am 30, and I think aiming for an investment property is the right way to go.
- Feed a tiger: I love how beautiful tigers are. It would be fantastic to feed one.
- Volunteer for Life Line’s Telephone Crisis & Support Line: I know that you need to pay to be trained as a volunteer but it would be so worth it knowing that you could make such a difference in the life of someone who feels that they have nothing left. Even just being a shoulder to cry on or someone to listen to… I think it would be very rewarding.
- Fly in a hot air balloon at sunrise: I think this would be so magical and an amazing experience.
- Climb a volcano in a tropical location: I wanted to do this in Vanuatu but we didn’t get to do it. 😦 Hopefully, someday I’ll be able to say I’ve climbed a volcano.
- Learn how to snorkel without freaking out: I tried to snorkel in Vanuatu but freaked out and hated it. I would like to actually learn so I can properly enjoy the beauty of the sea.
- Ride in a gondola in Venice: Definitely been on the bucket list for some time.
- Re-learn how to play piano and become much better at it: I learnt basic piano and how to play when I was younger and I would like to refresh my skills and become quite competent at playing the piano.
- Learn how to knit: Even if it’s just baby booties, I would like to learn how to knit something.
- Restore old furniture into something new: I love the idea of many DIY projects, but I have never fully completed one. I hope that one day I can take something old and up-cycle it into something new and beautiful.
- Learn salsa dancing: I love the seductiveness of this dance. It would be great to learn how to dance properly.
- Party in Ibiza: Well this has to be done before I’m 30. After all, I don’t want to be that 50 yr old in the club…
- Volunteer in Cambodia: I’m booked in to do this at the end of this year. I’ve been planning this for the last 4 years, but things keep getting in the way. I’ve decided that I have to finally do it this year. Fingers crossed that everything goes to plan and I finally get over to Cambodia to volunteer.
- Have a fully organised walk in wardrobe or wardrobe room: I have always dreamed of having an elaborate dressing/wardrobe room. It might involve some DIY and lots of time and effort, but the end result would be something ah-maze-zing!
- Adopt a pet from a rescue or foster organisation: I definitely want to have lots of pets. I figure that there are so many pets that are abandoned or mistreated that it would be a great idea to adopt one so I can give the pet the life and love it deserves.
- Ride an elephant in Thailand: I’ve always wanted to do this, but I don’t want to ride one that is mistreated for the purpose of tourists pleasure. That’s definitely not worth it. So I’ll only ride one that is treated respectfully and looked after.
- Learn photography with my DSLR: I bought a DSLR camera because I love photography. But I still don’t know how to use it. I really, really want to learn so I can take great photos.
- Grow and sustain a vegetable garden: I’ve never been much of a gardener, but I do enjoy cooking. I feel that growing a veggie garden will encourage me to garden more because I will need to sustain the garden in order to use the ingredients in my kitchen. And I would love to be like Jamie Oliver and just go outside to grab some fresh produce that I have grown myself in my own backyard 🙂
- Ride a Junk boat in Vietnam: Another travel dream. No idea when or if this would happen but I’ve always wanted to do it.
- Complete a first aid course and learn CPR: This is something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, and I think it’s best to put it onto my list to make sure I do it ASAP. After all, the skills I learn in this course could be used to save a life!
- Host a family Christmas at my house: the inner housewife in me just loves the idea of cooking up a feast of food for a family Christmas. And I also love the idea of decorating the house and table in some fabulous Christmas decorations that I’ve made myself. Yes, I’m a bit of a 50s housewife wannabe, but this kind of situation has never been feasible for me before. Now that I’m older I will have the space (and skills, and patience) to do something like this. I would just love to do this for my family.
- Donate blood: I seem to pass out and get nauseous at the sight of needles. I have no idea why. I never thought I was scared, but after an injection I fainted out the front of the doctors surgery, and ever since the idea of needles or giving blood makes me freak out. I want to get over this fear and donate blood because I know how important it is to do this.
That’s a pretty comprehensive list up there… There’s lots of skills I would like to acquire, places I would like to travel and some personal achievements that are close to my heart.
Now that I really started thinking about it, there’s a lot of things I want to do. So I’m going to add some more to my bucket list:
- Sail around the Greek Islands
- Go to Disneyland (Hong Kong or Euro-Disneyland are also acceptable)
- Write a cook book
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Climb up Uluru
- Visit Stonehenge
- Have a family overseas holiday
- Drive along the Great Ocean Road
- Take a ride in a helicopter
- Go to full moon party in Thailand
- Stay in a wooden bungalow hut over the sea in a luxury resort
- Write an article for another blog
- Stroke a lion
- Swim with dolphins
- Have a white Christmas
- Go on a road trip with a mini camper van
- Trek the Inca Trail
- Go zorbing in Rotorua, New Zealand
- Drink French wine in France
- Travel from the American East Coast to West Coast
- Teach someone one of the skills I have learnt
- Volunteer in Thailand
- Stay a night in a castle
- Ride a camel through the desert
- Attend a soccer game in Spain
- Attend a baseball game in USA
- Visit Pompeii
- See the Grand Canyon
- Brush up on my Italian and be able to hold a conversation with someone
- Visit Angkor Wat
Ok so lets stop it at an extra 30. I know I’ll be able to do some of these this year, hence why I didn’t add them to the 30 before 30 list. I wanted the 30 before 30 to still be a bit of a challenge. But those things that I will probably do this year are still on my ‘bucket list’, so I thought that I should add them onto the second list.
I will see what else I can cross off the bucket list within the next 5 years…
Stay tuned for more