When I’ve been trying to figure out what clothes to take away with me, I’ve been drawing inspiration and tips from Travel Fashion Girl, a website dedicated to helping women pack less but stay stylish.
I’ve decided to do up a packing list inspired by Travel Fashion Girl’s European Summer Packing List. Here is a picture of what Travel Fashion Girl recommends for a maximista packing list for Europe:
The list includes:
2 or 3 short sleeved tops
1-2 long sleeved tops
2 tank tops
2 or 3 shorts/skirts (any length is fine)
1-2 pairs of light trousers / leggings
1 x sleepwear
1 rainproof jacket
1 knit or light sweater
cute and comfortable flats that can be worn casually/dressy
comfortable walking shoes
And here is what I came up with:
I followed the packing list pretty closely. Here are some things to note about my list:
- I excluded the raincoat as the list included an umbrella and I think it’s a waste of space to take an umbrella AND a raincoat.
- A maxi skirt is a travel essential – they are comfortable, lightweight, can be hitched up when its super hot to make a mini skirt, or be worn down when you are travelling to religious or culturally conservative places.
- The PJ’s are versatile because the top can be worn as a shirt during the day, as well as a pj top at night.
- The swimmers are reversible.
- I chose some strappy sandals which can be used to make a casual outfit dressier.
- The black day bag also works well for going out at night.
How I would improve this list:
- I would add another dress. I think it’s a good idea to have a patterned dress and a dress in a solid colour. I would add a little black dress to the above list because it’s something that can be worn both day and night, and can be layered with other items to create a different look. I still think the patterned dress is a good choice as well because it is also versatile, but it’s a bit more casual than the LBD.
- I would add ‘going out clothes’. Not a heap of clothes, but something simple like an embellished top. Wear this with jeans or the black skirt and you’ve got a dressier outfit for nights out.
- The original picture showed a lot of jewellery – I would probably take just one watch, 2 necklaces and a pair of funky earrings. I think that’s probably enough, and it’s likely you will pick up interesting pieces during your travels.
- I would still like to pack heels. Maybe wedges though, with just a slight heel. They would really make a difference to an outfit!
- I did this a couple of months ago. Looking at it now, I don’t really like the colour choices. If I did it again, I would make better choices with a colour palette.
What do you guys think of the list? What do you think of my choices?